The Mountain School is excited to be adding a new chef to our team of local food professionals. If you are a trained chef or cook and want to develop your skills working with a year-round local diet in a cold climate, this is the challenge for you. Our chefs work to creatively transform vegetables and meat from our home farm into simple, hearty meals for approximately 75 students, faculty, and guests. We maintain a larder of frozen, dried, canned, smoked, and cured ingredients for our meals. This is a year round benefits level position and will involve meal preparation from the field to table, with food preservation in the fall and farm work with students in the spring. Position starts August 2018 and is a one-year appointment with the possibility of renewal.
- Create seasonal menus using vegetables, meat, and other staples from the home farm and local suppliers
- Complete daily meal plans, prep lists and job assignments
- Help preserve the harvest and prepare the larder for winter
- Work to minimize waste and spoilage and care for supplies in stock
- Ensure clean, safe, organized workflow, especially when working with students
- Practice proper lifting techniques and safe use of all tools and equipment.
- Receive, rotate, and properly store incoming orders and supplies
- Participate in regular team meetings to communicate and improve operations
- Lead team work in one or more areas
- Maintain high standards of quality, nutrition and presentation
Desirable knowledge, skills and abilities
- Minimum of 2 years hands-on cooking in a professional kitchen (restaurant, school, farm, or other institution) or equivalent schooling
- Some experience with plant-based cuisines, including vegan or vegetarian dishes
- Some experience with food preservation, growing one’s own food, or hunting
- Interest in or experience living in or working in a close-knit community
- Availability to work weekends and evenings
- Strong organization, time-management, and communication skills
- Self-directed, solution oriented, and excited about place-based eating
- Enthusiasm for working with young people
This job description is intended to describe the general requirements for the performance of this job. It is not a complete statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. Other duties not listed here may be assigned as needed.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee must be able to maneuver on uneven ground, carry and lift up to 50 pounds, and be able to perform daily repetitive hand motions as they pertain to cooking, food preservation, and farming.
Send a concise letter of interest, resume, and contact for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.